The Mom Entrepreneur Blog Has Moved!

We are now using Wordpress. You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit http://themomentrepreneurblog.com and update your bookmarks.

Lemons to lemonade feature #13: Kelly Henderson

Saturday, November 29, 2008
Kelly Henderson, mother of two and founder and owner of Iwearitwell.com, has been making lemonade from lemons for many years. In addition to surviving what the current economy has thrown her way, she has also survived cancer.

Kelly was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in October, 2006. It was while receiving chemotherapy treatments that she quickly realized the need for a hair loss alternative. Iwearitwell.com, established in 2008, is dedicated to providing easy to wear color coordinated comfort wear for chemotherapy and alopecia patients suffering from hair loss. Kelly also created a blog news center on her site to provide cancer victims and their loved ones information on important topics. Here is her story...

How has this economy affected you, your business and your family?
It has made us become more conscious of our spending and taught us to be a little more frugal. As far as the business, unfortunately cancer does not care what state our economy is in and it continues to affect our society at an exponential rate.

How are you making lemonade from lemons?
As a result of going thru chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer in 2006-2007, my Aunt and I discovered there were very little options for head-wear that made you look good and feel good. At a time when you are emotionally and physically drained, something as simple as getting dressed becomes a challenge especially when now, you have to not only coordinate clothes, you have to coordinate your “headwraps”. We put together daily ensembles for me to wear during my “hairloss” days that were bright and cheerful and most importantly comfortable. It helped me tremendously and I found that it brightened my day especially when I received compliments that I didn’t even look sick. We quickly realized that these “color coordinated ensembles” made me look better and likewise, feel better. I did not need to hide the fact that I was bald! So, we created iwearitwell.com, providing color coordinated comfort-wear for chemotherapy patients.

Any encouraging words you would like to offer mom entrepreneurs?
Your children are watching you and I can assure you they are proud to call you “Mom”. Let your children help you with your business in any way they can, even if it is just counting envelopes. Create a job for them even if it’s not something you need done. It will make them feel like they are a part of your success. My five year old cuts scrap paper for me and my 11 year old plots our Internet hits from other countries on our world map. He also keeps a log of his time and I pay him a small amount for his help. They have even set up small desk areas for themselves with boxes!

For more information, visit www.iwearitwell.com or www.blog.iwearitwell.com. The company also provides wholesale pricing for retail stores or hospital/medical gift stores. They can be reached at 866-925-4949.